The parish of St. Lawrence the Martyr
In 1386 the people of Rushton Spencer were licensed by the Bishop to hold services in their Chapel (the Chapel in the Wilderness), however until the 19th Century the chapel was dependant on the parish church at Leek despite, having developed claims to parochial status by the late 17th Century. It was not until 1865 that the chapelry became a parish, after the inhabitants of Rushton Spencer attempted to have the chapel declared independent to free themselves from paying fees to and contributing to the repair of Leek parish church.
The church has an exterior largely of sand stone with a date of 1690 above the east window and one of 1713 above the south doorway. A much older timber framed church possibly from the 14th Century exists within the stonewalls and is quite possibly unique within the county, it has a short wooden tower with an 18th Century belfry the nave and chancel have timber walls inside. The pulpit is of 17th Century oak and the massive font is probably twice as old. The hatchments in the church are of the Trafford and Brocklehurst families who lived at Swythamley Hall. In 1830 and again in 1841 the Archdeacon of Stafford recommended that the church be demolished to be replaced with a new one built at Rushton Marsh, although supported by "some more respectable parishioners" it was decided to repair the building. In 1842 dormer windows were set in the south roof and buttresses placed against the east wall, in 1948 the south wall of the nave was rebuilt. The box pews were replaced with open seats in 1898 and the stone flagged floor by wooden blocks, while the pulpit was moved from the southeast to the northeast corner of the nave. In 1923 an alter of carved oak was installed.
The grave of Thomas Meakin who was buried in 1781 is the only one in the churchyard facing east. Thomas, a groom, was in love with his master's (an apothecary) daughter, her father did not approve, and Thomas suddenly died and was hurriedly buried at Stone. His favourite pony kept returning to his grave and pawing the ground. His friends who exhumed the body found him lying face down, had he been poisoned and buried alive? After his family brought his remains back to Rushton they were reburied at St Lawrence's.